Sunday, July 18, 2010

Erie Canal











The Erie Canal was made to connect the Hudson River to Lake Ontario for shipping routes. No longer did mule teams have to carry freight across the Adirondack Mountains. This canal begins right past the city of Troy, New York and ends in Oswego, New York on the banks of the Lake Ontario. The lockes go up and they also go down. The attached pictures show how they work. Along the Erie, one will find campers on the banks of the canals, children jumping from train bridges for the summer heat and many townships and villages. We spent three days and nights on the Erie Canal. We began our first locke at Waterford, New York. Waterford is right past Troy, New York. Our first locke was approximately 21 feet up.
I took pictures of a Blue Herring Crane and Canadian Geese. We saw an Amish couple fishing in their Amish attire. I didn't take the couple's picture, but I did take a picture of their horse and buggy. I also took a picture of a very large "Beech Nut" sign in one of the townships where they manufacture it.
I also think that I might have found "Batman's House." If you've been following our blog, then you would know that I found his boat in Fort Lauderdale, Florida two summers ago. This very large huge house built on the side of a mountain could possibly have Batman's cave underneath.
Enjoy the pics and Happy Boating!

No comments: